FIFA Club World Cup Will Make Clubs Better Globally – FIFA President Infantino Declares Ahead of Miami Kick-Off
As the football world counts down to the inaugural edition of the expanded FIFA Club World Cup, FIFA President Gianni Infantino has declared that the historic tournament, set to kick off in Miami on June 14, 2025, will usher in a new era of global club development and investment.
Speaking during the 75th FIFA Congress held in Asunción, Paraguay — the first time the event has taken place in the South American nation — Infantino emphasized the transformative impact the new Club World Cup format will have on football across all continents. The Congress, which brought together FIFA’s supreme legislative body, served as a platform to highlight the significance of the tournament and its long-term benefits.
The 2025 FIFA Club World Cup will feature 32 of the world’s best football clubs and offer a staggering prize pool of USD 1 billion. In addition, a USD 250 million solidarity fund has been set aside for non-participating clubs, ensuring that the benefits of the tournament will extend beyond the competition itself and leave a lasting legacy in club football worldwide.
“This tournament will not only elevate the standard of club football, but it will also ensure financial equity and global development,” Infantino told the Congress. “Everything will go back into football: prize money to the clubs, and solidarity funds for club football all over the world.”
The FIFA boss underscored that the global nature of the new tournament reflects FIFA’s broader commitment to inclusivity and growth, saying, “We have to make sure that clubs — not just national teams — can shine on a global stage, can invest, and can become better and bigger all over the world.”
Infantino thanked the various stakeholders who helped bring the vision to life, including the six continental confederations, national associations, leagues, players, and the European Club Association (ECA). “My thanks go to everyone who has participated in this success: the confederations, associations, the leagues, the clubs, the players, the European Club Association, its chairman — everyone who shared our vision,” he said.
The tournament, which kicks off on Saturday, June 14 in Miami, will culminate in the final on Sunday, July 13 at the iconic New York New Jersey stadium. FIFA’s decision to retain no revenue from the tournament further highlights its intention to use football’s biggest club competition as a platform for reinvestment into the game.
The expanded Club World Cup replaces the traditional seven-team format and marks the most significant overhaul of the competition since its inception. The new format mirrors the structure of the FIFA World Cup for national teams, with a group stage followed by knockout rounds, ensuring more matches, greater excitement, and broader global representation.
For clubs, the benefits are manifold: increased exposure on the international stage, access to significant financial rewards, and a chance to compete against the best from other confederations. For fans, it promises world-class football and the chance to see dream matchups that previously only existed in fantasy.
As the tournament draws nearer, anticipation is building. Clubs from Europe, South America, Africa, Asia, North America, and Oceania have already begun preparations for what many describe as a defining moment in global club football history.
With the 2025 FIFA Club World Cup poised to redefine the club football landscape, President Infantino’s message is clear: this is more than a tournament — it’s a catalyst for growth, unity, and opportunity across the beautiful game.


Write a Comment