Federal Government Denies Dam Failure as Cause of Devastating Mokwa Flood
The Federal Government has dismissed claims linking the devastating flood that ravaged Mokwa in Niger State to a failure or release of water from nearby dams, stating that both the Kainji and Jebba dams remain fully operational and structurally sound.
Minister of Water Resources and Sanitation, Prof. Joseph Utsev, made this clarification during a press briefing in Abuja on Tuesday, following widespread speculation over the cause of the disaster, which struck the town in the early hours of Thursday, May 29.
“It is important to clarify that the flooding in Mokwa was not the result of any water release from the Kainji or Jebba dams. Both facilities are intact and pose no risk to surrounding communities,” Utsev said.
Expressing condolences to the Government and people of Niger State, the minister attributed the catastrophic event to extreme weather conditions driven by climate change, which resulted in heavy rainfall overwhelming the town’s limited drainage infrastructure.
According to Utsev, the flooding was exacerbated by unregulated construction and encroachments that obstructed a seasonal tributary of the River Dingi. The blocked channel, typically dry outside the rainy season, failed to redirect the excess water, leading to massive inundation.
“The absence of efficient alternative drainage channels worsened the situation,” he added.
Utsev also cited warnings issued by the Nigeria Hydrological Services Agency (NIHSA) earlier this year in its 2025 Annual Flood Outlook (AFO), which identified Mokwa as one of the 1,249 communities across 33 states and the FCT at high risk of flooding.
States listed as high-risk in the report include Niger, Lagos, Kogi, Bayelsa, and others facing growing vulnerability to climate-induced disasters.
In the wake of the tragedy, the minister praised the prompt response of state and local authorities and emergency services in delivering aid to victims and called for intensified efforts to address Nigeria’s growing flood risk.
“Flooding is not just a natural event; it is a developmental issue requiring a coordinated and sustained response,” he stressed.
He urged state and local governments to enforce land-use regulations, improve urban drainage systems, and sensitize communities on flood preparedness. The minister also encouraged stakeholders to consult NIHSA’s online flood forecast platform for up-to-date, location-specific information.
Technical teams from the ministry, NIHSA, the Upper Niger River Basin Development Authority (UNRBDA), and the National Water Resources Institute (NWRI) are currently in Mokwa conducting impact assessments and developing strategies for long-term mitigation.
Meanwhile, data from the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) paints a grim picture. The May 29 flood claimed over 200 lives, with more than 500 people reported missing. At least 121 individuals sustained injuries, and more than 3,000 residents were displaced.
Over 265 homes were destroyed, alongside critical infrastructure including roads and bridges.
President Bola Tinubu has pledged federal support to assist victims and has activated the National Emergency Response Centre to coordinate ongoing relief and recovery efforts.
As climate change continues to unleash more intense and unpredictable weather events across Nigeria, Utsev emphasized the need for nationwide collaboration to build resilient communities.
“We call on all sectors—government, private, civil society, and communities—to work together in building safer and more resilient environments,” he said.


Write a Comment