Etim Esin Appreciates Amaju Pinnick For Offsetting His Hospital Bills

July 02 11:47 2022

Former International, Etim Esin has revealed that for the timely support given to him by NFF President Amaju Pinnick he would have gone cripple by now.

The former Iwuanyanwu Nationale play maker said the N7. 5 million was used for surgery to enable him treat his torn ligament in his knee. Etim said the Surgeon told him that if he had postponed surgery by two months, he would not have been able to walk again.

After a successful operation and subsequent therapy, Esin, who had been in the hospital for two weeks, was discharged from The Well Plus Medicals Hospital in Lekki, Lagos, on Friday.

The self acclaimed Nigeria Maradona said when he called the NFF President three weeks ago following a recurrence of the chronic right knee ailment he had sustained while playing football, Pinnick responded to the call and spent a total of N7,576,950 for him

“I just got home from hospital today (Friday). Help me thank Amaju (Pinnick) for coming to my aid after I reached out to him.

“The surgery went well and I would not have been able to afford the bills.

“I spent two weeks at the hospital. I had to go through physiotherapy before the main surgery. Who would have coughed out such an amount, if not for him (Pinnick)?

“The surgeon said I’m lucky that I came earlier, that in the next two months I may not have been able to walk again if the knee was not replaced.

“In my life, I always have people who are there for me. The gunshot incident, when I was shot by armed robbers, it was former Head of State, Ibrahim Babangida (who came to my rescue), the rape case in Belgium it was the late Chief Moshood Abiola and now this surgery and Pinnick helped me out.

“It’s just the grace of God. I’m happy it’s a leg issue, not that of an (internal) organ, it’s the same leg I used to play for Nigeria.”

Esin, one of the most gifted players of his generation, is often regarded as one of the most controversial characters in Nigerian football history.

He was shot in the leg by armed robbers in Surulere, Lagos in 1987 and his car snatched after he left the Flying Eagles camp at night unauthorised.

Despite the highly celebrated attack, the retired footballer would go on to represent the country at the 1987 U-20 World Youth Cup few months later.

In the early 1990s, he was charged for raping a minor during his playing days with Lierse FC in Belgium, a claim that was later proven to be false two decades after.

Source : The Punch

view more articles

About Article Author

write a comment


No Comments Yet!

You can be the one to start a conversation.

Add a Comment